This topic has 37 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 5 years by contemplate.

• Author
     valuser
    Participant

Have your fix ( from https://archived.seventhqueen.com/forums/topic/buddypress-whats-new-options-ajax-no-show-on-one-server) operating.

But NO activity comments can be made.

This only happens on one host – wpengine.

Your theme works perfectly on other hosts.

Another fix would be hugely appreciated!!!

valuser
    Participant

The fix you kindly provided allows the top activity “What’s new?, Joe” box to function properly

But comments can’t be made.

Both “Allow comments” & “Allow trackbacks and pingbacks on this page.” are checked.

Unchecking them makes no difference.

Again, all this is only on one server.

sharmstr

This is not a theme issue, just to be clear. The way I figured out the first fix was to compare the all the scripts that should be loaded against the scripts that are being loaded, then loaded the missing scripts via the add_action function. You can do the same by viewing the source code generated on the demo site to the source code generated on your site. Or get wpengine to fix their servers. You can switch to a theme that comes standard with WP so they can’t say its “theme related”.

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

This support site is not about custom work. If you need custom development please contact cornel@seventhqueen.com

valuser
    Participant

Fully aware that this is not a theme issue – as (as stated) all is OK on other servers and on localhost xampp.
    So, I’m not in any way suggesting that seventhqueen is “responsible”.
    Frankly wpengine’s support is not what it should be.
    They have suggested it is “buddypress” related which is nonsense given that i can use this setup on very very cheap shared hosting.
    Perhaps, like some hosts, they would really like buddypress users to go elsewhere!!
    Wil try to examine it as you have suggested. and will come back

sharmstr

I wasn’t accusing you of blaming Kleo. Just making it clear for others. Kleo gets blamed for a lot of problems 🙂

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

This support site is not about custom work. If you need custom development please contact cornel@seventhqueen.com

valuser
    Participant

no problem.

Now, if possible bear with me on this.

First cursory comparison: the file at mydomain/wp-includes/js/heartbeat.min.js?ver=4.1 is not being loaded to the unresponsive site while it is being loaded to the “good” site on the “good” server.

the missing bit (thats not on the “bad” server) is

COPY CODE
    <script type="text/javascript">
    /* <![CDATA[ */
    var heartbeatSettings = {"ajaxurl":"\/wp-admin\/admin-ajax.php","nonce":"ef57d07069"};
    /* ]]> */
    </script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://mydomain.com/wp-includes/js/heartbeat.min.js?ver=4.1"></script>

Could that possibly be relevant ??

/**
    * Heartbeat API
    * Heartbeat is a simple server polling API that sends XHR requests to
    * the server every 15 – 60 seconds and triggers events (or callbacks) upon
    * receiving data. Currently these ‘ticks’ handle transports for post locking,
    * login-expiration warnings, autosave, and related tasks while a user is logged in.

If not I will do a detailed comparision, hopefully, tomorrow.

sharmstr

I doubt it has anything to do with the heartbeat, but I dont know for sure. You’ll have to test it for yourself. We cant test because we dont have sites on WPEngine.

sharmstr

On second thought, it might? But the heartbeat is an api that allows you to do polling for new events and such. Being able to comment on something doesnt really fit that scenario. WPEngine might have disabled that since it does slow down servers. There’s tons of posts about it.

Again, you can test by forcing it to load.

valuser
    Participant

added
    wp_enqueue_script( 'heartbeat_js', get_template_directory_uri() . '/wp-includes/js/heartbeat.min.js', array(), '4.1', true );
    to your function but it did not have the desired effect.

then added
    <script type="text/javascript" src="<?php bloginfo('template_url'); ?>/wp-includes/js/heartbeat.min.js?ver=4.1"></script>
    to header.php but but it also did not have the desired effect.

If i haven’t done this properly please let me know.

(btw the undeclared crippling of a core file by a wordpress host is an issue in itself!!!!!!)

so i presume i will now have to do a very detailed comparison of the source files of two sites on different hosts

valuser
    Participant

ok so far – just a more complete rendition of what is missing in the “bad” server compared to a similar setup on a “good” server.
    immediately following the heartbeat line is also missing —–
    <script type=”text/javascript”>var BP_DTheme{}</script>

COPY CODE
    /* <![CDATA[ */
    var heartbeatSettings = {"ajaxurl":"\/wp-admin\/admin-ajax.php","nonce":"1d1a7d444d"};
    /* ]]> */
    </script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://mydomain.com/wp-includes/js/heartbeat.min.js?ver=4.1"></script>
    /* <![CDATA[ */
    var BP_DTheme = {"accepted":"Accepted","close":"Close","comments":"comments","leave_group_confirm":"Are you sure you want to leave this group?","mark_as_fav":" ","my_favs":"My Favorites","rejected":"Rejected","remove_fav":" ","show_all":"Show all","show_all_comments":"Show all comments for this thread","show_x_comments":"Show all %d comments","unsaved_changes":"Your profile has unsaved changes. If you leave the page, the changes will be lost.","view":"View","newest":"Load Newest","pulse":"15"};
    /* ]]> */
    </script>

Whe i googled var BP_DTheme the first result is a three year old thread https://buddypress.org/support/topic/comments-are-not-working/ which must mean i’m getting closer!!

Please understand I just haven’t any great clue about this stuff but would greatly appreciate any help that you van give

valuser
    Participant

put the above into header.php – no improvement

valuser
    Participant

I now have examined two (almost) identical sites on different servers.

The differences (in regard to javascripts) are as follows:

The five scripts put into functions.php – as per your advice – are coming in to the “bad” server (wpengine) like this: (with the wp version 4.1 not the bp version 2.1.1 as in the “good” server (bluehost).)

COPY CODE
    <script type='text/javascript' src='http://dogdrill.com/wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-core/js/jquery-query.min.js?ver=4.1'></script>
    <script type='text/javascript' src='http://dogdrill.com/wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-core/js/widget-members.min.js?ver=4.1'></script>
    <script type='text/javascript' src='http://dogdrill.com/wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-core/js/jquery-cookie.min.js?ver=4.1'></script>
    <script type='text/javascript' src='http://dogdrill.com/wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-core/depreciated/js/jquery-scroll-to.min.js?ver=4.1'></script>
    <script type='text/javascript' src='http://dogdrill.com/wp-content/themes/kleo/buddypress/js/buddypress.min.js?ver=4.1'></script>

AND

only on the good server this (the “heartbeat” file) comes in:

COPY CODE
    <script type='text/javascript'>
    /* <![CDATA[ */
    var heartbeatSettings = {"ajaxurl":"\/wp-admin\/admin-ajax.php","nonce":"3ca3c1a148"};
    /* ]]> */
    </script>
    <script type='text/javascript' src='http://www.rvews.com/wp-includes/js/heartbeat.min.js?ver=4.1'></script>
    <script type='text/javascript'>
    /* <![CDATA[ */
    var BP_DTheme = {"accepted":"Accepted","close":"Close","comments":"comments","leave_group_confirm":"Are you sure you want to leave this group?","mark_as_fav":" ","my_favs":"My Favorites","rejected":"Rejected","remove_fav":" ","show_all":"Show all","show_all_comments":"Show all comments for this thread","show_x_comments":"Show all %d comments","unsaved_changes":"Your profile has unsaved changes. If you leave the page, the changes will be lost.","view":"View","newest":"Load Newest","pulse":"15"};
    /* ]]> */
    </script>

this is not to be seen on the “bad” server.

Any help at all very much appreciated

sharmstr

All of your info is confusing. Can you give me a link to the bad site so I can see what you are talking about?

sharmstr

Also include a test account so I can log in.

valuser
    Participant
    This reply has been set as private.
     sharmstr

Sorry for not wanting to search for login info. Very busy. Will get back to you.

valuser
    Participant

no problem. i’ll leave it with you. thanks

sharmstr

I was able to post a comment on an activity.

sharmstr

Also, I believe that the reason the page is jumping to the top when you click comment is because your site is throwing a 404 error on /wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-core/deprecated/js/jquery-scroll-to.min.js

That should fix everything.

valuser
    Participant

because your site is throwing a 404 error on /wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-core/deprecated/js/jquery-scroll-to.min.js

That should fix everything.

? how?

sharmstr

404 means it doesnt exist. Make sure it exists.

valuser
    Participant

i have changed “depreciated” to “deprecated”

sharmstr

🙂

Okay. So to help everyone else that might have this issue, what did you end up doing to make it work, beyond what I did months ago?

valuser
    Participant

ok the solution is at

https://archived.seventhqueen.com/forums/topic/attachment-and-post-buttons-for-whats-new-posts-on-groups-were-hidden

add this to your functions.php

add_action( 'wp_enqueue_scripts', 'load_buddypress_js' );
    function load_buddypress_js () {
    if (bp_is_group() || is_page( 'activity' )) {
    wp_enqueue_script('buddypress_query',plugins_url() . '/buddypress/bp-core/js/jquery-query.min.js',array("jquery"));
    wp_enqueue_script('buddypress_members',plugins_url() . '/buddypress/bp-core/js/widget-members.min.js',array("jquery"));
    wp_enqueue_script('buddypress_cookie',plugins_url() . '/buddypress/bp-core/js/jquery-cookie.min.js',array("jquery"));
    wp_enqueue_script('buddypress_scroll',plugins_url() . '/buddypress/bp-core/depreciated/js/jquery-scroll-to.min.js',array("jquery"));
    wp_enqueue_script('buddypress_js',get_template_directory_uri() . '/buddypress/js/buddypress.min.js',array("jquery"));
    }
    }

BUT BUT BUT BUT

PLease be sure to replace “depreciated” with “deprecated” !!!!!!!!!

valuser
    Participant

ok the solution is at

https://archived.seventhqueen.com/forums/topic/attachment-and-post-buttons-for-whats-new-posts-on-groups-were-hidden

add this to your functions.php

COPY CODE
    wp_enqueue_script('buddypress_query',plugins_url() . '/buddypress/bp-core/js/jquery-query.min.js',array("jquery"));
    wp_enqueue_script('buddypress_members',plugins_url() . '/buddypress/bp-core/js/widget-members.min.js',array("jquery"));
    wp_enqueue_script('buddypress_cookie',plugins_url() . '/buddypress/bp-core/js/jquery-cookie.min.js',array("jquery"));
    wp_enqueue_script('buddypress_scroll',plugins_url() . '/buddypress/bp-core/deprecated/js/jquery-scroll-to.min.js',array("jquery"));
    wp_enqueue_script('buddypress_js',get_template_directory_uri() . '/buddypress/js/buddypress.min.js',array("jquery"));
    }
    }
     troy7890
    Participant

Thanks for this info – however adding this scripts to my functions did not change the problem with making the “What’s New Submit” button visible for me on my group’s pages. I suspect it’s a css positioning issue because I can make it partly visible with some tweaks to #buddypress #whats-new-options. I will post a private reply with my login info, thanks.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
     troy7890
    Participant
     sharmstr

Credentials dont work. Do a search on here for the css to fix your problem. Its been discussed.

Love the color combos on the site. Looks great!

troy7890
    Participant
     sharmstr

Your wp-content/plugins/buddypress-media/app/assets/css/main.css isn’t loading. That puts a float: left on the attach files button which will allow the post update button to display inline.

troy7890
    Participant

Thanks for taking a look
    I wonder if this is related to me prematurely updating to BuddyPress 2.2.0 ?
    I honestly did that update on accident – I did know better but things like that happen once in a blue moon.

Anyways, any tips to forcing the main.css file to load would be appreciated.

troy7890
    Participant

FYI
    I was able to get the submit button on the activity page to display by disabling the “Allow upload from activity stream” option in the rtMedia – Buddypress options page.

Having that option enabled was pushing down the “post update” button off screen.

Just something to note.

sharmstr

You’re just putting a band-aid on it. You’re not fixing the real issue which is wp-content/plugins/buddypress-media/app/assets/css/main.css not loading.

troy7890
    Participant

I understand that, but what I don’t know is what is causing this .css file to not load.
    To test for conflicts, I have disabled the non-packaged plugins but that did not make a difference in the file not loading.

I’ve provided admin access above, if possible, please investigate this issue.
    Thanks.

tylerjohnson
    Participant

Just wanted to comment and say, thank you valuser! I’m on WPEngine as well and this fixed my issue.

COPY CODE
    wp_enqueue_script('buddypress_scroll',plugins_url() . '/buddypress/bp-core/deprecated/js/jquery-scroll-to.min.js',array("jquery"));
    }
    }
     sharmstr

That’s old code and its been updated to work with newer versions of BP. Please see the Kleo documentation: https://archived.seventhqueen.com/documentation/kleo#wp-engine

tylerjohnson
    Participant

Thanks! I updated it to the new code.

contemplate
    Participant

In case anyone is still having this issue on WP Engine after this fix we found we had to disable the following in Buddypress:

goto Settings -> Buddypress
    on the Options tab
    disable “Activity auto-refresh”

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The forum ‘KLEO’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forgot your details?