This topic has 44 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 8 years by Laura.

• Author
     Abracadabra
    Participant

This whole @ username – public message and visibility of all members activity in site-wide activity feed is simply stupid. It assumes everyone knows everyone and it may be suitable for some small family site, but not something majority of kleo users build.

If you guys had an option in KLEO to simpy disable that system with one click that would be great.

I would suggest giving us the following options:

1) underneath the profile picture, no @s, no time and no text of any kind just a cover page and a picture. Only things that would show up once someone clicks on profile would be add friend or cancel friendship and private message buttons.

2) Eliminating (All members) and (Mentions) activity tabs in Site wide activity, this one I truly dont understand, why would anyone want to know everything that is going on the site unrelated to their friends. My friends and My groups only in site wide-activity.

Laura

Hello, those things can be easy fixed with css and plugins.
    The thing is that we didnt create Buddypress and it is made for a social website where everyone can see everyone, KLEO only integrates with Buddypress.

To make that changes to Buddypress, you can use the following css to disable @ and activity text on profile (add to quick css or style.css in child theme)

COPY CODE

.buddypress div#item-header div#item-header-content h4 {
        display: none;
    }
    .buddypress div#item-header div#item-header-content span.activity {
        margin-left: 10px;
        display: none;
    }

To prevent strangers from viewing others activity, you can use the attached plugin so activity is only for friends.
    I would just ask to not insult the work Buddypress team made creating this awesome plugin, free for everyone and well done.

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

Laura Solanes - Graphic Designer and Web Designer

Please be patient as I try to answer each topic as fast as i can.

If you like the theme or the support you've received please consider leaving us a review on Themeforest!

Always happy to help you 🙂

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
     Abracadabra
    Participant

Thanks Laura

It wasnt meant to be an insult in any way, just constructive criticism, buddypress does enormous amount of excellent work and in a way they downgrade their product themselves by not going the little extra and making it more flexible. They could have a one click solution, closed “family website” vs open website.

Abracadabra
    Participant

I just tried the code in style.css edit, the @ and text still show on profile picture and member directories, it did not work.

Laura

Hello, please share website links so i an check it out 🙂

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

If you like the theme or the support you've received please consider leaving us a review on Themeforest!

Abracadabra
    Participant
    This reply has been set as private.
     Laura

Hello, have you cleared your cache? I dont see @ anymore, profile and members directory
    To clear cache use CLTR+F5

Abracadabra
    Participant
     Laura

Hello, that is an activity that you sent. Just delete it

Abracadabra
    Participant

Ok I did that and it disappeared, but when I posted a new update it shows the new update text in that spot now. How can I permanently hide this?

Also this whole activity-site wide activity should have an option to disable viewing of everyones activity, if you guys had this option that would be pretty awesome. Something like hide the (All members) and (Mentions) columns. Is there a way to do that in CSS?

Laura

Hello, to delete completely @ please go to FTP files, find wp-content/themes/kleo/buddypress/members/single/member-header.php

Copy that file and paste it inside of
    wp-content/themes/kleo-child/buddypress/members/single

Then open it and edit it, find @ by search, delete it ( its between “>@<” )
    Save 🙂

Laura

Also, this plugin could help you, its for showing only friends activity

Attachments:
     Abracadabra
    Participant

ok great thanks, so to completely delete the trace of this now I need to delete two columns off site wide activity page, (all members) and (mentions)
    Is it possible to hide this with css code?

Attachments:
     Laura

Hello, to remove mentions use http://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/daily-tip-how-to-remove-mentions-from-buddypress/
    To remove all members , try the plugin i attached in the other post

Abracadabra
    Participant

it crashed my site… this is what I am getting now

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected end of file in /home/content/p3pnexwpnas06_data03/99/2401299/html/wp-content/themes/kleo-child/functions.php on line 114

I did not do step 3 as I dont know how to do that (Step 3: Remove the hardcoded menu item:)

I will reload from a back up, but that code he has on the blog does not seem to do the job.

I uploaded that plug in before, the all members column in site-wide activity was still there.

Laura

Hello, could you share ftp and wp-admin credentials here? Set it as private reply please 🙂

Abracadabra
    Participant
     Abracadabra
    Participant
     Laura

Hello, your issue should be resolved now, let me know if i miss something 🙂

Abracadabra
    Participant

Hi Laura, I see some changes but I can still see text under my profile picture, groups and forums tabs got moved over to under big + dropdown menu. In Sitewide activity, all members column is still visible, and in my favorites everything is shown instead of just my favorites.
    Also, another thing I asked somewhere else, on pages which I myself created in the footer, terms&conditions, privacy policy, contact, how do I get the footer to default to bottom of page, right now its in the middle of page.

Abracadabra
    Participant

It seems that cancel friendship request box overlaps the avatar. Im attaching a screenshot

Attachments:
     Laura

Hello, please allow me some time to manage this so everything can be done, so, based in what you said, you need:
    – Hide All Members in activity stream
    – Text under profile ( the text you mean your name or last activity?
    – Fix CSS issues with profile buttons
    – Could you explain what you want to show in my favorites?
    – Check out the footer problem

Let me know if i miss something and please give me some info from above so i can do everything you need 🙂

Abracadabra
    Participant

Hi, Laura, I need to check everything out again, after I upgraded to buddypress 2.2 some things changed.
    I will come up with a comprehensive list here in a day or two.

Laura

Hello, sure, will be waiting 🙂

Abracadabra
    Participant
     Laura

Hello
    1- Search is a name you should never use for a page as its used for default wordpress search, so it creates a conflict. I created a new page with the name Search for… with your shortcode, it works http://yourwebsite/search-for

2- Fixed with the following CSS in Quick CSS

COPY CODE

#buddypress div#item-header .group-admins {
      margin-top: 3%;
    }
    .buddypress div#item-header div#item-header-content {
      margin-top: 3%;
    }

3- Buddypress groups page are dynamic so this cant be done so easily, you should try to contact a developer

4- Do you want to disable Activity section or change activity icon?

5- Do you mean disable link for fields?

6- The Slider has set the url to wp-login.php so you have to change it manually, i changed the first slide. For redirection you can use https://wordpress.org/plugins/safe-redirect-manager/ and set that wp-login.php redirects to /login Also about Register page, i think you have a plugin that is creating a conflict with links.

7- Thi can be done with the point 6 plugin

8- It may be in a next update if a moderator told you about it 🙂

9- I have tested it with iphone and android, it works for me

Abracadabra
    Participant
     Laura

Hello, i will check out those points, just a question, would you prefer to just remove the activity function of buddypress ( i mean the activity page too)?
    Point 5 i will check after doing the nº3
    Abotu your question, an user should never log out if he doesnt click on log out, so it may be a plugin that limit the logged in time

Abracadabra
    Participant
     Abracadabra
    Participant
     Venter11
    Participant

Hey Laura, I was directed to this conversation. I also want the @username hidden because users can see your username even if you choose to only show your nickname, and also hide the amount of time active text. I used your code from above at the top to hide the @name on profile and time active, but in doing so, the profile image partially hides the “private message” and 2 other buttons beneath. How do I fix this? Total non-coder here.

Venter11
    Participant

I’d also like to add their display name where the @username used to be.

Venter11
    Participant

Cancel everything I said, because I didn’t realize you couldn’t mention other members without using the @username. I guess my big question then is, how do users edit their @username?

Abracadabra
    Participant
     Abracadabra
    Participant

Hi Laura, one more thing I noticed which I think you might want to change.
    When you enter wrong username/password you get this Bold faced exclamation point and ERROR: There is no need for that, I feel being scolded or something, the text you have there.. “The password you entered… ” is enough.

Abracadabra
    Participant
     Andrei

Hi @arystokrata, thank you for your suggestions, they represent a constructive feedback and we’ll see how we can adapt in the future to ensure more flexibility at the customizations level.

If for now you have something especially that you would like to see changed in the theme, then I would suggest you to post some of your ideas in the new voting section for feature requests and if the community will vote it then we’ll try to implement it as soon as possible.

Please let me know if I can help you with anything else.
    Cheers

Abracadabra
    Participant
     Andrei

Hi,

1. You can change that text from buddypress translations, using the following plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/loco-translate/ , you just have to search the desired strings.

2. Those messages are wordpress default ones, so you should find them in translations as well, and about the icon, you can hide it using this piece of code, added to “Theme Options > General > Quick CSS”

COPY CODE
    #kleo-login-result i.icon{ display:none; }

3. This also comes from a translation, but this time it comes from the rtMedia plugin

4. Please understand that this is the way that third party plugins are generating their title tag and that this isn’t something from our side.

5. Can you please give me a link of your site to see by what plugin is that icon generated, because it doesn’t seems to be one designed by us. And about the position of icons, there are plenty of topics responded on the forum and also a lot of them over the internet, but please understand that you will need at least a little bit of attention if not some programming knowledge in order to edit and apply this custom code snippets that you find.

6. I understand your suggestion about this one and we’ll try to add more options in the future.

Please let me know if I can help you with anything else.
    Cheers

Abracadabra
    Participant
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forgot your details?