This topic has 12 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 8 years by sharmstr.

• Author
     i.eric___
    Participant

Can you use News Focus with Portfolio items? It doesn’t seem to be working for me. (Though Blog posts work fine with News Focus)

sharmstr

Yes it works. Can you be more specific about whats not working for you. Are they just not showing up at all?

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

This support site is not about custom work. If you need custom development please contact cornel@seventhqueen.com

i.eric___
    Participant

Hi Sharmstr

Okay, let me explain–

•If I use News Focus to display Blog Posts everything displays very nicely.

•If I follow the same process, but instead build query of Portfolio posts, that section of the front-end page just ends up blank when I refresh.

sharmstr

I’m not having that issue on my sites. Can I get access to yours so I can see what may be causing it?

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

This support site is not about custom work. If you need custom development please contact cornel@seventhqueen.com

i.eric___
    Participant
    This reply has been set as private.
     sharmstr

I added the News Focus to your blog page and the portfolio items show up fine.

i.eric___
    Participant

Hi Sharmstr,

I saw that the News Focus you added worked. However, it broke as soon as I hit “update” on the page. Any idea why this is happening?

i.eric___
    Participant

I noticed that it works if I add News Focus without the filter, but if I try to create a New Focus with Portfolio Items, and also have it filter by Portfolio Category it doesn’t work.

To recreate the problem:
    1. Add New Focus Element
    2. Select <Build Query>
    3. Select “Portfolio” for post type
    4. In the “Categories” field, add “Interviews” and “News”
    5. Save changes
    6. Update page

Conclusion: News Focus shows up blank.

sharmstr

Categories are for posts, not portfolios. If you look at the portfolio menu item, you’ll see “portfolio categories”. Those are different than the built in WP categories which is the filter you’re trying to use.

The field description explains this: “Filter output by posts categories”.

Use the taxonomies filter instead: “Filter output by custom taxonomies categories, enter category names here.”

i.eric___
    Participant

Okay thank you, that makes sense. It now displays the portfolio items for me, but there is no category filter at the top (photo below). Am I doing something wrong?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
     sharmstr

Again, because you’re not filtering by wp categories “If you refine your posts by category then they will show as tabbed content in the shortcode”

i.eric___
    Participant

So how can I have News Focus filter by Portfolio Categories?

sharmstr

If you mean tabs for portfolio categories, you cant. The tabs are created based on WP Categories.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The forum ‘General questions’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forgot your details?