This topic has 8 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 9 years by Pixxx.

• Author
     serpentwolf
    Participant

It appears that in the Kleo installation video that the Child theme is being utilized and I am unsure of which one to use. Are there benefits or losses in using one over the other?

sharmstr

Use the child theme. Here’s why https://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

This support site is not about custom work. If you need custom development please contact cornel@seventhqueen.com

Pixxx
    Participant

There is reasons not to use childthemes as well, google it!

Here is a link for you.

http://learnwebtutorials.com/to-use-child-theme-or-not-to-use-child-theme-in-wordpress

sharmstr

True. But if someone is asking me what the heck child themes are, odds are they aren’t proficient enough with coding to deal with cloning. So, my answer stands. Use the child theme.

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

This support site is not about custom work. If you need custom development please contact cornel@seventhqueen.com

Pixxx
    Participant

Sorry, it was definetly not meant as promoting cloning.

More like, always use childthemes but before you do, read this post, hehe

Simply put, if you are only going to use custom css use the parent themes custom css box, and if you use childtheme, be aware that it could break your site in rare situations!

sharmstr

Your “simply put” doesnt make sense. Putting css in Theme Options > General Settings > Quick CSS will still have the same override/break risk that putting it in child theme/styles.css does. Both override default functionality/styling.

Pixxx
    Participant

Everywhere you read about childthemes it clearly states, safe updates witch could easily be mistaken for riskfree, witch I wanted point out that its not.

sharmstr

Agreed, but in the same breath you need to point out that neither is putting css in Theme Options > Quick CSS. That’s all I’m saying.

Pixxx
    Participant

ok, case closed;-)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘General questions’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forgot your details?